One of the rare monuments to Serbs killed in the operation “Storm” and other wars in the area of Krajina was demolished in the night between Thursday, September 12 and Friday, September 13 in the village Golubic near Knin.
The monument was built in 2011 in the churchyard of St. Archdeacon Stephan, which last year celebrated 550 years of existence, said the Association of Families of Missing and Dead Persons “Suza” (A tear).
The plaque with a cross and inscription “In the memory of Golubic citizens killed in wars” was set up by the citizens of Golubic, at the initiative of the Association of Families of Missing and Dead Persons “Suza”.
“Although the representatives of the victims’ families in Golubic are under pressure of veterans associations, in the agreement with local authorities they have accepted the change of the original monument in which were inscribed names and last names of 34 killed locas and a new plaque was placed with a new inscription, but that could not survive,” says the Association “Suza”.
Indignation, as the association states, is bigger considering that the monument in Golubic was placed two years before and was destroyed just after the accession of Croatia to the EU.
The Association said that they have expected that by Croatia’s joining the EU their right to memory and placed monuments will be more protected and that in other places in Croatia where Serbs were killed memorials could be placed.
“The pain and disappointment of the families of missing with the latest act of vandalism, destruction of the monument in Golubic is even greater because there are still 2,000 missing from the period of 1991 – 1995 on our list.”
The Association said that they are wondering now how will the demolition of the monument reflect resolving the fate of missing persons and their burial in family tombs in Croatia and so they ask the current government to enable them the respect of right to a memory and to speed up the process of the resolving of the fate of the missing, says the statement.