LEPOSAVIC – The Serbian government will not leave the Kosovo-Metohija Serbs behind, and we will not let the Trepca mines be taken away from us, Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said in Leposavic Sunday.
Addressing Leposavic residents and miners of the Trepca flotation plant – who welcomed him with ovations and shouts of “Trepca is Serbia” – he said that the plant is the backbone of Serb survival in northern Kosovo.
Since the beginning of the Brussels dialogue with Pristina, Belgrade has been insisting on discussing property issues, but some have been avoiding that, he said.
“The first attack on Trepca, when they wanted to present it as their own, has been repelled. We are apprehensive that they might pass a special law transforming Trepca into public property of the so-called ‘Republic of Kosovo,'” Vucic said.
It is known who built the flotation plant, the Crnac and Belo Brdo mines and who works there, and they cannot be taken away by anyone, he said.
“We will fight politically and oppose this unambiguously and I hope that there will be enough wisdom in Pristina and Brussels to understand this,” Vucic said.
Commenting on early Sunday’s grenade attack on a Zubin Potok venue where he is scheduled to speak later in the afternoon, Vucic said that he is not intimidated by the attack and that only a strong Serbia can protect the interests of the Kosovo-Metohija Serbs.
Vucic said on Sunday that he is not impressed by last night’s attack on a sports hall in Zubin Potok, Kosovo-Metohija, where he is scheduled to speak.
Speaking to reporters after a visit to the Banjska monastery, Vucic said that three people were involved in the incident and that, according to his information, they have not been caught as yet.
“It is not only that a grenade was thrown – from what I have learned, three ‘heroes’ showed up, one lobbed an M75 grenade and then fired a submachine gun burst. He could have killed who knows how many people as there were ten people there, working on setting up the stage,” Vucic said.
He said that he let the authorities find out what happened, adding that he is not sure that they will ever be able to do so, but that he still trusts them.
“As far as I am concerned, I will go there, and I will go to Kosovo-Metohija every time,” Vucic said, adding that the Zubin Potok event will go ahead as planned.
Earlier on, the head of the Serbian government Office for Kosovo-Metohija Marko Djuric said that the incident, which took place at 3 am Sunday, was an organised attack and an act of terrorism.