BELGRADE – Director of the Serbian government’s Office for Kosovo-Metohija (KiM) Marko Djuric said that Wednesday’s attack on Zvecan-based TV Most crew in the central Kosovo town of Obilic had been an attack on the Serbs and freedom of speech, voicing expectation that the event would be condemned by Albanian journalist associations, provincial institutions and the international community.
“It is crucial for this condemnation to arrive from both the province’s institutions and Albanian journalist associations, and from representatives of the international community, who should not be awarding any new praise or opening any new doors of international organizations to Pristina as that means awarding the sociopolitical climate in which a hunting season on Serbs is always open,” Djuric told a press conference in Belgrade.
Djuric said that the television crew had narrowly escaped lynching, as they had a car with Belgrade license plates and spoke Serbian. He added that at the time of the attack, the crew was filming a news report on an allocation of humanitarian aid to the Branko Radicevic school in Obilic, a Serb school in a town ethnically cleansed of Serbs.
“It bothered a small group of extremists who attacked them. One of them even attacked a TV Most cameraman with a spade. All of that was happening only 50 meters away from the local police station,” said Djuric.
Djuric said he would inform a team of representatives of EU High Representative Federica Mogherini, who were in Belgrade at the moment to talk about the expert level dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina, about the latest attack on Serbs in KiM.