Serbia calls EU to continue accession talks in June as planned

BELGRADE – Serbia’s chief negotiator on Tuesday called on the European Union to continue accession talks in June as planned, criticising the opposition from Balkans neighbour Croatia.

“Technically speaking, yes, they (Croatia) are blocking… they are stopping the possibility to go further,” Tanja Miscevic told AFP.

“I am not going to call it a blockade because they never formally vetoed something…. But they are doing something else, they are not giving the so-called ‘green light’ on those documents,” she said.

Croatia is opposed to opening negotiations on several key chapters — the judicial system, fundamental rights and security. Talks with a candidate country on any chapter need the approval of all 28 EU member states.

The hurdles, according to Zagreb, include Belgrade’s cooperation with The Hague-based UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) and political representation of minorities.

Croatia became the newest member of the EU in 2013. Serbia started accession talks in January 2014, but did not open the first chapters for negotiations before December last year.

LEAVE A REPLY