Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS, ISIL) claimed responsibility for Thursday’s vehicle attack in central Barcelona through it’s Amaq news agency. At least 13 people were killed and dozens injured after a van rammed into pedestrians at speed.
As is customary for such press releases, it claimed multiple soldiers of Islamic State were involved. It also stated the attack was in response to the international coalition’s operation against the jihadist group in Syria and Iraq.
Spain has provided military aid in the three-year long campaign against the terrorist group, but its troops are not directly involved in combat.
Spanish police announced on Friday that they killed five persons in the city of Cambrils and in this way prevented a new terrorist attack.
According to the police, the attackers wore explosive belts, while the incident happened one hour after midnight.
The attackers previously drove into a group of people on a promenade by the sea, injuring seven (six civilians and one policeman), one of whom is in a critical condition, according to emergency services.
The attackers then left the car and clashed with the police, when they were all killed. The BBC also writes that a series of controlled explosions has been carried out.
The Spanish police are saying that the situation is now under control in Cambris, a tourist resort located about 100 kilometers south of Barcelona.
“Our working hypothesis is that the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils are linked,” the police said.
Diplomatic representatives of Serbia in Spain are engaged in gathering data after the attack in Barcelona, the Serbian embassy has announced.
So far nobody has addressed the embassy to report the possible disappearance of any Serbian citizens, RTS said.
Citizens from at least 18 countries are among the dead and injured in the terrorist attack in Barcelona, when a van was used to mow down pedestrians.
Two persons have been arrested, one from Morocco, and another from a Spanish enclave in northern Africa.